If you’ve found this page, you probably own a blunt pair of scissors that are in dire need of good service! If that’s the case, you’re in the right spot.
Scissor servicing isn’t just an essential part of owning a pair of scissors, it’s got other important benefits that you really should know about first.
- Consistently struggling through haircuts with a blunt scissor can seriously affect your health. Using a blunt scissor puts a lot of strain on your hands and wrist and can cause acute carpal tunnel syndrome and repetitive strain injury. These types of injuries are commonplace in the hair industry, with many stylists forced to give up their careers before time.
A sharp scissor that is regularly serviced will help prevent that from happening and you can enjoy a long, healthy and prosperous career.
- A good professional will service their scissors at a minimum, every 6 months with most stylists choosing to service theirs sooner or whenever they feel their scissors becoming blunt.
- Oiling and setting the tension daily will extend the life of your scissor and protect against needing to service sooner than you expected.
- Never leave your scissors in barbicide or similar products overnight. It’s water-based and can rust your scissor and its internal parts, making cutting more difficult and causing irreparable damage. The recommended time to leave your scissor sterilising is 20 minutes.
- If you can’t use Quartered Steels for servicing your scissors, please choose a reputable service technician. There are many poor-quality service technicians out there and they can ruin your scissors beyond repair in minutes. Check their reviews on Google, ask others who have used them and ask if they will cover the whole cost of your scissor if they break or damage them. If a scissor technician says it will only take 2 minutes to service your scissors, that’s too quick. We spend a minimum of 45 minutes on each scissor.
- A cheap service is generally not a good service. £30.00 and up, depending on how bad they are, is a good rule of thumb to judge whether they charge properly for their time.
So, now you know a little bit more about scissor servicing, you can move forward confidently.
When we service your scissors, we pay lots of attention to them. We know these are your pride and joy and we know that professionals invest a hefty amount in their tools.
The first thing we do is inspect your scissor. We use a magnifying glass to check if there are any dents or chips in the blade and bends in the tip if you have dropped them.
After that, we disassemble your scissor and check the internal parts for wear and tear. There are a lot of variations when it comes to the moving parts and we stock virtually every part there is. You can feel confident that if your scissor needs new parts, we’ll make sure it gets them.
We’ll then sharpen the edges and check the sett. The set is the bow in the scissor, if you look through your scissor when it’s closed, you’ll be able to see light through them. That’s the sett. It has to be formed in a certain way for the scissor to work effectively and also to protect its new edge.
Following this, we add a new ride-line, which helps your blades slide smoothly against each other.
On reassembling your scissor, we check the handles are in the right place, make sure the tulips are level and not crossing over and check it cuts perfectly.
Once we are happy, we’ll send them back to you via courier, safely and securely packed on a next-day service. Or if you are local to us, you can collect them or we can drop them off.
Our servicing charge is £30.00 as standard which you can pay for now before you send them off to us. If they need any more work which will have an additional charge, we’ll promptly contact you before we undertake that work and agree on the extra cost which you can pay via Bank Transfer or PayPal.
Here is our servicing department address.
Please send your scissors in a case, wrapped securely with your name, return address, email and phone number and a brief description of the issue on a piece of paper inside.
Quartered Steels Ltd
Farset Enterprise Park
638 Springfield Road
Thank you for your trust in us. We always work to the highest standard.